Saturday, September 24, 2005

Something to Ponder.......

Okay, here I go with a little controversial topic. After reading a sports article on my homepage about a 35 year old lightweight boxer dying 5 days after a fight, from a brain hemorrhage, I was compelled to write this post.

Every day in the news there are stories about bigger and better sports equipment, rule changes and criminal charges for assault being brought against sports figures, all in an effort to protect athletes . These things are brought to the publics eye to try and bring a level of safety to the sports world and to the athletes. Yet, we still tolerate the "sport" of boxing. How hypocritical. There are fans of this sport that pay hundreds of dollars to watch these matches. Many, many more people pay big bucks to catch the latest fight card on pay-per-view television. These, so called athletes, are paid millions of dollars to get into the ring and knock each other senseless with hardly any protection against the blows.


When these boxers are left with severe health problems from the years spent in the ring having their brains rattled, who pays the costs of their long term care? Is it right to allow this to continue? I think that the next time they advertise a fight on pay-per-view we should all call or write our cable companies and demand that it be cancelled. If the promoters can't sell their product, maybe this barbaric sport will stop.

How many boxers, in the name of the almighty dollar, have to die or suffer severe brain injuries before this is stopped?

Think about it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is, indeed, a controversial topic, Momma C, and while I certainly would never claim to be an expert in the world of boxing, I do have my two cents to put in here as well. You asked how many boxers will have to die before this blood-thirsty sport is stopped. Well, you unfortunately answered yourself when you mentioned the "almighty dollar." As in most professional sports now, it's all about the money now. Everyone is looking for the opportunity to make it rich - many boxers come from Cuba to the United States, despite tense relations between the two countries, because they are so poor.

I think what we need to look at here is the step above the athlete - the managers, their managers, and the people who rig these fights just to add to their millions. As an example, and because I really don't know that much about other boxing producers, we can look at Don King. His whole boxing empire is based out of Florida (the ideal place for bringing in boxers from the Carribean Islands and some Latin-American countries which, unfortunately, are known for their high poverty rates). He is an unbelievably rich man, but there has been speculation for many years as to his corruption. During the 2004 election campaign, he spoke out in favour of the Republican Party and is a known financial supporter of Jebb Bush. So, as you can see, a snowball effect.

Now, this is one example and I'm sure that not all boxing (just as other sports) is corrupt, but it certainly does not take away from the fact that it is a blood-thirsty sport. Their so-called protection is a joke. In all honesty, though, I don't think many of the athletes are aware of the medical trauma they put themselves through. I do call them athletes, not so-called athletes, because they do train and could also play other sports. And certainly, if given medical warning (although I'm sure the managers have a say in who gives them medical consultation and, unfortunately, even doctors can be bribed), the managers probably tell their boxers that it is nothing of concern. There is also the issue of gambling - sports gambling is HUGE in the States, and it doesn't help that the managers/producers are in on it as well.

Quite a rant...and I apologise, but it does come down to the same conclusion, Momma C. Until managers (and boxers themselves) put the health of theit athletes before the "almighty dollar," and until dirty money stops being exchanged to quiet things down, you will not see an end to this "barbaric sport." However, your idea to write a letter or contact your pay-per-view provider and demand that it be cancelled and voice your concerns is a good one. Even one voice can make a difference.

11:42 p.m.  
Blogger Jo said...

Wow John, you get an A++... hahaha:) That was quite the rant. And I agree. I don't much like boxing, and I think it's retarded that two people get in a ring and punch the hell out of each other pretty much until one of them is knocked out....pretty smart, eh?? Wow, I now know what I want to do for the rest of MY life...

10:41 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home