Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Remember When....

Today was Thanksgiving. We had our dinner yesterday because we had to go bowling tonight. There was a time when we didn't bowl on the holiday Mondays, but that time has gone by the wayside. It's funny how things change. It seems that the only time bowling is cancelled is when Christmas or Boxing Day falls on a bowling night. This got me to thinking about how times have changed in my lifetime........

Who Remembers..............................

When everything was closed on a holiday?

When late night shopping was only on Thursday nights?

When the stores were closed on Wednesday afternoons?

When the grocery stores closed at 6 pm Saturday and re-opened Monday morning?

When milk was delivered to your door by the milkman?

Bread was delivered by the breadman?

There was no Sunday shopping?

When 7-11's started up and you actually could by bread or milk somewhere until 11 pm?

When there were NO self-serve gas stations?

When the only fast food was Kentucky Fried Chicken or A & W?
When Dairy Queen served only ice cream?

Then there are the changes in our lifestyles that have occurred..........

When it was the norm to get married before living together?

When the majority of moms stayed home to raise their children?

When there were NO daycares, just moms or grandmothers who babysat for a few extra dollars?

When teachers wore suits and ties or dresses to work?

When jeans were not allowed to be worn in schools?

When girls had to wear dresses or pantsuits to school?

When only a handful of people that you knew owned a computer?

When a VCR was a luxury item?

These are just a few of the things that I can remember off the top of my head. Funny that so much has changed in such a short amount of time. Just imagine how much things have changed in the past 100 years.





4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Can't say that I remember any of these things...except for maybe the milkman thing, and I remember how exciting it was to get our VCR...

11:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember some of those things! I'm sure glad grocery stores are open more often cuz I'm just way too disorganized for them not to be!!!! I guess it would force me to be more organized though. I sure am glad that I can wear jeans to school!

5:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a lot of those things...as far as I know, it's all still like that in the small town I grew up in. The Mac's store only recently changed to 24 hours. I actually drove out to my little town two days ago with my Mom...trips down memory lane can be difficult, but it was fun.

6:58 p.m.  
Blogger Momma C said...

Glad to hear you ar okay Johnny! We were worried when we hadn't heard anything from you.

7:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home