Friday, September 02, 2005

A Time to Mourn

I feel that I must really express my feelings of horror, shock and sadness at this week's events in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi in the wake of hurricane Katrina. The total devastation is unbelievable. How can so much damage be done in such a short period of time? I had to try to control my emotions when watching the news. I have never felt quite that way before watching the news. There is always disbelief and anger or disgust when watching the news, but this time it was very emotional to watch.

When 9-11 occurred we all sat watching the T.V. in anger and disbelief. How could anyone have such disregard for human life that they could hijack planeloads of innocent people and crash them into buildings full of more innocent people? The events of this week have brought different feelings. How can one storm cause such devastation on such a large area of the United States? When will these areas recover and HOW??????? Homes, streets, hospitals, roadways, bridges cities and towns are totally destroyed. People have lost absolutely everything, from their belongings and homes to their very livelihood. I can't imagine how they will ever recover.

How does this happen? You would think that in this day and age of technology there would be a way of diverting or quashing a storm of this magnitude. We have been to the moon and back and sent spacecrafts to faraway planets, yet one storm has caused such utter devastation.

Our thought and prayers are going out to the millions of people affected by Katrina.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your feelings. I haven't cried as much for strangers since 9/11. I don't know if you remember but I always wanted to visit New Orleans because of the Anne Rice novels. Now I will never get to visit those places that made my imagination soar.
I think we can all learn the lesson ( yet again) that what we possess is fragile, but that hope springs eternal.
To all those I know that read this, I love you.
To anybody from those regions that may read this, my thoughts are with you. The beauty of the human condition is the unique ability to not only endure but to rise above. You will find the strength to do this.

10:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cries for help, offers of help proliferate on Web
"Anyone in the area ... Please rescue Mr. & Mrs. Arnold Sabathia at 3324 Danneel St.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a internet biz site/blog. It pretty much covers internet biz related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:16 p.m.  
Blogger Momma C said...

Yes Jen, I remember that you have always wanted to visit New Orleans. In fact when I saw the total devastation of the city I thought about that.

Love ya!!!!!!!!!

12:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Momma, you're being comment spammed!! (The anonymous comment above...). If you want, you can prevent this by turning on the word authorization, so you have to type in what you see on the screen before you can post a comment.
Anyhow, I share both of your feelings....it's horrible...I haven't been watching the news much but I've been reading stuff online. What a world we live in...

12:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home