An Evening at the Emergency Vet!
Tonight I had to take our little Oscie into the Emergency Vet!! He was a little lethargic last night, so I kept an eye on him all day today. This evening I noticed that he was squatting in the living room and that there was a bit of pee on the kitchen floor. I was wondering if I should take him in or just watch him until morning and take him in to our vet. Then in almost the same spot on the kitchen floor (where only a few minutes before I had wiped up the piddle) there was a bit more, only this time it was rather red in colour. I got out the carrier and Oscie proceeded to go hide in the basement. I did a very smart thing though, I got a syringe and got a bit of the piddle into it to take to the animal hospital. They were impressed that I had the forethought to do that. After searching for the little monkey for about 20 minutes, he finally came out of his hiding spot and Bruce and I managed to get him into the carrier.
The poor little guy absolutely hates the car and cried all the way over there. After the vets checked him out, they decided that he was not blocked and did an urinalysis on the tiny sample I brought in. Even after being on the prescription food since February, our little Oscie has crystals in his urine again. Now the little guy has to stay on the dissolution formula for 2 weeks and get some X-rays. They want to rule out stones that could be dissolving slowly and causing the crystals. That could also cause a large enough crystal to break off and cause another blockage. We sure don't want that to happen!! He also is on antibiotics twice a day for the next week and 1 anti-inflammatory for the next 3 days.
He was really good at the hospital. The vets had a hard time getting a heart rate though because he was purring so loudly!!! Oscar is such a purry kitten anyway. Did you know that a cat purrs not only when they are content, but when they are stressed????? That was what I learned today!! After his exam he was very curious about the examining room and jumped off the table and inspected the whole room and settled on the floor under the little rolling cart. I wished I had my camera to take a picture of him!
I guess that's about all for tonight. I'm tired and should try to get some sleep soon. I must keep an eye on the little guy and I hope that he gets back to his old self real soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home